LoveBethnalGreen.com has a new weekly interview format, which will explore the great stuff that's happening across the E2 area. It's for those who don't want to go deep, but want to be in the know.First up, we have Oxford House. We caught up with CEO John Ryan so that he could test drive the Talk To Me format. Each interviewee will be given 5 simple headings to respond to in no more than 30 words, offering our readers an angle on their past, their present and their future, all shot through with why it is they love Bethnal Green. Easy as that. Here we go then....
- Your history
- Your business
- Your passion for the area
- Your offers
- Your future
Role: Marketing & Communications Freelancer (part-time)
Reporting To: Partnership Lead
Hours 14 hours per week
Salary £625 pcm, fixed term until 31/03/2019
Key Objectives: Furthering the partnership with London Borough of Tower Hamlets, supporting local business & increasing footfall in Bethnal Green.
Thank you for your interest in this role. Oxford House is looking for a social media savvy communications freelancer who is passionate about east London, to join the team part time to work on the ‘Thriving High Streets’ programme. This role is the ideal stepping stone for someone looking to build experience in blogging, marketing, communications, social impact and public services.
This role is to be delivered on a freelance basis, and as such the successful candidate will take responsibility for paying their own national insurance and income tax contributions.
About the ‘Thriving High Streets’ strategy
The Thriving High Streets project is funded by the Greater London Authority, and Oxford House has been commissioned by and working with Tower Hamlets Council to deliver the project until the end of March 2019. The project involves supporting the delivery of a programme of activity that covers the points below;
- Business support to improve performance of local businesses
- Public realm improvements, making Bethnal Green greener, & street markets improvements
- Supporting events & activities programmes that promote the area
- Marketing & promotion of businesses and organisations to improve footfall in the area
- Passionate about community, with an interest in supporting local community activity.
- With a passion for Bethnal Green & for east London, the ideal candidate will live locally.
- Experienced with social media and happy to manage Love Bethnal Green’s channels independently, including Instagram, Facebook & Twitter.
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal.
- Confident and able to work autonomously, and always a positive team player.
- Organised and able to manage time very effectively.
The role will include the following tasks, and flexibility will be required as the candidate takes on other tasks as the role and the project develops.
- Develop and keep updated a comprehensive list of businesses in Bethnal Green District Centre
- Promote participation amongst businesses and traders in business initiatives funded by the Council
- Engage with schools to get them involved in activities in Bethnal Green Town Centre
- Helping to engage with properties owners with vacant units and promote options for activating the units and adding to the offer in the town centres once the actions from the feasibility study are agreed
- Support the promotion of businesses and of the market via gathering stories and putting out messaging on social media and the Love Bethnal Green Website
- Support delivery of activities and events managed by suppliers commissioned by the High Street & Town Centres team to help animate and promote Bethnal Green District Centre
How to apply
To apply, send a short supporting letter (200 words max) explaining your suitability for the role to email@example.com. Please include an up to date CV as an attachment (max 2 pages) with detail of 2 x referees who can be contacted upon offer of the role.
The deadline for this role is 12 noon, Monday 25th June.
Interviews will take place week commencing 2nd July at Oxford House, Derbyshire Street, E2.
Funded by Tower Hamlets
Supporting our High Streets and Town Centres
- Training opportunities; what is available from LBTH for local business to access?
- Characteristics of Bethnal Green; what needs particular attention & what can be done to support?
- Markets; Our ambitions to engage with traders and inspire new ones
- Promoting footfall; Profiling local businesses, getting pragmatic around Halloween, Christmas and Valentine's, and key events later in the year.
- What have you got coming up? Fill us in on what you've got coming up so that we can build stories around your activity